Thursday, January 6, 2011

2010

I realize I am a little late in reviewing my year. Obviously my resolutions for 2011 are going as well as expected. That's another post. Most likely in another two months.

2010 was - in a word - terrifying. 2010 was a year of dramatic changes for not only myself but for my relationship with Austin and those surrounding me as well. A year ago we had applied and already been accepted into OU, so we were beginning the planning stages of exactly what was going to happen when we decided to come to Oklahoma, and when we were going to do it. Little did we know how much of our lives were going to change during the course of 2010. The process of, for a lack of better word, ending our lives in Birmingham and preparing to essentially start over was really scary. I had a great job and worked with wonderful people. We had a well-established core group of peers whom we loved. My entire family lives in Birmingham. We were taking outselves out of a place of comfort and putting ourselves in a place of unpredictability. I am many things, spontaneous is not one of them.

Which is one thing that I was taught during the course of 2010. As much as I can plan, there really IS a bigger picture that supercedes anything I can superficially write in a calendar. Moving to Oklahoma wasn't just about Austin going to OU; we had to learn to be a married couple again living in close proximity to each other without the everyday distractions afforded to us by work, family, bills, friends. I had to learn to trust in a power outside of my control. With these lessons has come a new Sarah. I seek every day to be a better wife to Austin, a better daughter to my parents, a better sister to my sisters (and sisters-in-law), a better daughter to my Father in Heaven, a better coworker to my fellow coworkers, and a better friend to my friends (new and old). There are days where I fail miserably time and time again. However, there are also days where it seems like the world falls into place and things are just as they are. I cherish those days. And so, with 2011 I seek all of these things and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment